Thursday, July 9, 2009

★ 5Qs with Bruce Kite

Ever been swept away by the melodic tones of Beyond Barriers? Recently, I had a chance to talk with their Bass Player and Creative Director, Bruce Kite.

Rob: Bruce, it's so nice to have you on 5Qs. I have to say that I am a big fan of Beyond Barriers. I think my fav. song is "All I Can Say."
Click www.BeyondBarriersMusic.com to hear it and more BB songs. ;) Now Let's get into the Qs...

Q1: Tell me a little about yourself?

Bruce: I grew up in a somewhat rural area of Pennsylvania, the oldest of three kids. I went to university in southern Virginia, and now I split most of my creative time between the band and being an in-house graphic designer for a large consumer electronics company. God radically transformed my life in college and that opened up the door to everything that I’m involved in now.

Rob: All of Pennsylvania is rural to me...lol. It's so great to see what God has done in you and in the band. It shows in the music and all of your creative work. I have only known you guys for a little while, but I have to say you guys are great! (Shout out to my boy JOSH!!!!)

Q2: When did you first realize that you wanted to do this?

Bruce: I think halfway through college I decided that I wanted to be a graphic designer. I chose graphic design my freshman year as my major because I couldn’t really think of anything better, but it wasn’t until I started completing projects and I first experienced that “yeah, I made this” moment that I was sold on it.

Rob: I feel you. There is nothing more reassuring then that moment when you realize that you were born to do this.

Q3: What do you feel is your strongest asset?

Bruce: I think my strongest asset is being able to adapt and learn new things.

Rob: So true... as a designer you have to adapt because this industry is constantly evolving.

Q4: What would you like to be known for?

Bruce: I look at the parable of the "ten talents” and I want to be known as someone who was faithful, one who stayed the course and multiplied his talents for the King’s use and glory.

Rob: I couldn't have said it better.

Q5: What is your favorite thing about being both a musician and a designer?

Bruce:
I like when the two (music and design) intersect. With the band I try to tell the story of the song, or reinforce the message of the song visually with motion graphics and/or videos. I like to take what we were thinking and feeling while writing the song and craft the visual parts just like another instrument in the band. To overhear someone say that the visuals took their focus off the distractions and helped focus them on worshipping God is quite fulfilling. To me it’s part of seeing the gifts I’ve been entrusted with being offered back to God.

Rob: Awesome! This has been great Bruce. Keep clicking on RobJelinski.com and "My Ink Pad" for more 5Qs.

1 comment: