Wednesday, August 12, 2009

★ 5Qs with Teagan White

In our technological age, you see graphics everywhere, most of which are ill planned and poorly implemented. So when you stumble across talent, you remember it. That is the best, single word I can use to describe Teagan White, talented! Her charming skill and unique vantage point breathe both energy and sophistication into her art.

Rob: - Good Evening Teagan. It's a pleasure to have this opportunity to chat with you. I admire your work as an Illustrator and Typographer. My Teagan Fav. 5 are: Fine Art | No. 2 | No. 5 and Illustration | No. 5
| No. 6 | No. 7 Click Here to view Teagan's site and let us know your Teagan Fav. 5.

Q1: Tell me a little about yourself?

Teagan: I'm a nineteen year old freelance illustrator and designer from Chicago, currently in my second year as an illustration major at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design. I'm interested in any type of art, from painting to sculpture to interior design, so right now it feels really good to be able to make money doing what I love.

Rob: I can't believe that you are so young and still in school. When I saw your stuff, I knew that you must have already had pro gigs, but it did surprise me that you had not graduated already. It really shows that you love what you do.

Q2: When did you first realize that you wanted to do this?

Teagan: I've drawn my whole life, but I didn't even know what graphic design was until I enrolled in an introductory class on a whim, in my sophomore year of high school. I fell in love with it right away and decided I would major in it in college, but a few months in at MCAD I had a drawing teacher who encouraged me in the direction of fine art. I ended up settling on illustration as a middle ground between fine art and design, but I guess you could say I'm still in the process of realizing exactly what I want to do.

Rob: Yep, it takes time. Usually, when you are skilled in one area of the Arts it overflows into other areas.

Q3: What do you feel is your strongest asset?

Teagan: I think that versatility is important for artists in any field. I've never settled on one style, medium, or subject matter, and that broadens my knowledge and capabilities when I work. Being able to jump to different mediums is especially helpful... Whether it's Adobe software, drawing, painting, web coding, woodworking, font creation, papermaking, etc, I really enjoy doing it. I'm hoping to take some printmaking courses soon as well.

Rob: The fact that you are versatile and that all of your work is top-notch has definitely placed you further ahead then alot of artists in your same situation.

Q4: What would you like to be known for?

Teagan: Right now I'm trying to push all of my work past mere aesthetics to involve more meaning and emotion. I love literature and poetry even more than I love art, but I'm far better at expressing myself visually, and so I turn to drawing. It's not an easy thing to communicate the same thing that a poem does using pictures, especially when my main focus is commercial art right now, but I would love to someday be known for being able to express powerful concepts and ideas with my art.

Rob: You are already doing it, but as time goes on your expressions will reach more and more people.

Q5: As an Artist what do you find to be the most fun?

Teagan: The thing I enjoy most is what I do the least -- actually getting my hands on the materials I'm working with. I do enjoy working digitally, but it's very liberating when you stop pressing Cmd+Z for a while and instead smear charcoal on paper with your fingers, or dip your hands into a vat of paper pulp, or make a sculpture from lace and burlap and newspaper and dead leaves and coffee grounds. Each material has its own life, which potentially adds to the beauty of what you create from it.

Rob: Thanks Teagan. This interview has been alot of fun! Keep checking RobJelinski.com and "My Ink Pad" for more 5Qs.

No comments:

Post a Comment